Friday, January 1, 2010

Teaching Strategy

In recalling a good math teacher in high school, I've decided to use a strategy that he used every single class. Before class started, the teacher would write a series of math problems on the side board so that as the students came in, they might sit down and begin working on the questions. The questions were usually from the concept learned the day before, so they were a sort of review. He would also give an extra five minutes into class for students to work on the problems. Then he would work through the problems with the students.

I particularly liked this strategy because it was a simple review tool, but also to get students into the mind set of “math class”. Every day these problems were on the board and we expected it. A small routine, but effective in my mind. Even though I am a music teacher, I would like to incorporate this somehow into my own routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment