Friday, January 1, 2010

Know Your Own

In Tatiana's class, Ed-D 430, we had a guest speaker (Caroline, I think) come in and discuss “the job interview”. She mentioned a question that stumps a lot of interviewee's, “What are your weaknesses?”. On holiday, I began thinking about this and surprisingly I was able to come up with more weaknesses than strengths. According to Caroline, many interviewee's have their strengths lined up but forget to think about their weaknesses. Don't even try “I work too hard” and “I care too much”. Those are stupid to begin with. Everyone know that Uvic student teachers work too hard anyway! (for the benefit of future teaching years of course)

A weakness of mine is the fact that I have a very expressive face. It is a weakness because many times I have had people misinterpret what I am thinking. Most of the time I am unaware of the face I am making, but I have had people ask “Why are you making that face? It's like you don't respect me.” I want to bang my head on the wall because the intention is not disrespect, most of the time I am processing what the person is saying. The last thing I want is a fellow colleague or student or parent misinterpreting my facial expression. I cannot change my expressions to a bland face all the time, but I can become more aware of my expressions.

Knowing your own weaknesses can not only aid in the classroom, but getting that job in the first place. So what are your weaknesses?

No comments:

Post a Comment